COURSE CONTROL PERSON: REVIEW GUIDELINES WITH COURSE WORKERS
(TAILOR TO YOUR AUDIENCE)
COURSE WORKING GUIDELINES
1. DONT TURN YOUR BACK ON A CAR IN YOUR AREA!!!
2. Spread out the people to cover your area.
3. Cars may come as quickly as 15-20 seconds. Be alert!! Hustle!
4. Watch the cones, not the car. Check any cone moved. Reset any cone that moves and indicate penalty or not to your radio person.
5. Use "safe" signal for no penalty; "touchdown" signal for missed
gate; hold up penalty cone(s) or fingers for number of penalty cones.
Cone penalty for "down or out" cone (see below). "Gate" penalty for going outside course (and not returning at the exit point)--driving over a line is OK. "DNF" (Did Not Finish) for missing significant portion of the course. (Note: Each cone not correctly negotiated in a slalom is a gate.)
6. One person handles the radio. Call in penalties when car exits your area. Use something like, "Course Control, Station 2, one cone, black Corvette." Be sure you get a confirmation.
7. One person holds the red flag, unfurled but not flapping in the breeze. Dont hesitate to use it if you see an unsafe condition developing--or if directed by Course Control. Err on the side of safety. Get the drivers attention, but DONT PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER IN FRONT OF A CAR!!!
8. Explain to a red-flagged car why they were stopped. They can exit the course either directly or by driving SLOWLY through the remainder of the course. If red flag was NOT because of anything they did, they get a rerun.
9. Before the first car, check all cones in your area to be sure they are squarely in their box. Check again if you have a significant break.
10. Cone penalty illustration: